Me versus the yard

I just got inside, right before sunset, after mowing my grass. As per Pope usual, what should have been simple turned into a lengthy project due to some lack of preparation. The mower ran out of gas with about 15% of the yard left. And, of course, I didn't have any gas in the can (can you still call it a "can" now, since they are all made of plastic? Can you have plastic cans?). A trip to the gas station then justified a trip to Lowes to get some grass seed. Hence, the production.

I've been trying to put Bermuda grass in the yard, but it hasn't really taken. My front yard is full of weeds. It certainly looks better than it did when we moved in; then, the yard was full of rocks! But the grass hasn't really taken and the yard is an odd mix of bermuda, fescue, and weeds. So tonight I just broke down and bought fescue, which is what all the neighbors have. I didn't even see any bermuda in the store. I spread it out on the front lawn along with some leftover starter fertilizer. We will see what happens.

Comments

  1. I'm dreading the first lawn mowing of the year. I think it's going to have to be this weekend, as the rear lawn is getting pretty shaggy. Yet the front lawn is about 2/3 dirt, as the grass I planted 2 years ago seems to have completely died off. Which means I'm going to have to get a tiller and tear up everything that isn't grass and start again. I also need to mulch the front bushes, and I plan to put an edge of mulch and some undetermined flowers along the side of th house as well. I think it's going to be a long Saturday this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the thing: I like doing yard stuff once I get started and if I know I have the ability to finish what I set out to do. It's the "getting off my butt an into the yard" phase I have trouble with.

    Plus the time. I have no free Saturdays until May 17th. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts